Camp Au Sable's Story
The year was 1947. The place was a hotel in Saginaw, Michigan. The date was December 3. It took only a stroke of a pen and a check for $30,000 and 840 acres of woods with a 100 acre private lake belonged to the Michigan Conference of SDA. It was there that the story of what we call Camp Au Sable began.
Camp Au Sable
- 1948 – The dining hall and two cabins were constructed
- 1949 – First camps at Au Sable:
- July 31- August 7 – First boy’s camp
- August 7 – 14 Second boy’s camp
- August 14- 21 – First girl’s camp (almost everyone stayed in tents)
- 1951 – Medical building and three more double cabins
- 1953 – Staff building and Chapel in The Woods
- 1954 – Craft building erected
- 1955 – First permanent caretaker moved onto camp property
- 1957 – First wilderness camp and winter camp
- 1965 – Forest fire which destroyed only about 2 acres
- 1966 – Cedar village built and first year both boys and girls had camp at the same time.
- 1970 – New shop built
- 1971 – A busy year when the barn was built and the horse area was established
- Fort Shellenbarger completed – Mission Village cabin built across the lake. First wedding performed at Chapel in the Woods – Athletic shed built Saw mill constructed – Camp Director’s cabin erected
- 1973 – Nature Center opened
- 1975 – Cedar Lodge built
- 1977 – New entrance sign over road
- 1978 – New home built for camp manager
- 1979 – Parking lot and part of road paved
- 1980 – New road built from entrance on M-72
- 1981 – Entrance sign moved to M-72 entrance – road paved from highway to dining hall
- 1982 – 1986 Mini-Mac bridge built – barn enlarged and horse shed constructed
- 1987 – Nature Center enlarged and new modern rest rooms built
- 1991 – Updated tack shed with classroom for teaching horsemanship
- 1993 – Forest Lodge built
- 1994 – Auditorium completed
- 1997 – Car Insurance at Diggy Go Cart track finished
- 2001 – Astronomy Observatory
- 2002 – Fort rebuilt with treated poles
- 2003 – RV Park built
- 2008 – Store remodeled and expanded
- 2009 – New docks for swimming area
- 2009 – New kitchen
I love camp. I always have a blast. I miss all my friends and my favorite horse, Legand. I miss my friends Josh, DJ, and Rhett from camp of 2012. I cant wait to go again.
Camp for me was a life changing experience. I got to learn of this true and loving God who cares for me and loves me so much he even died for me. If it wasn’t for this camp I don’t know where my walk with God would be. I vowed that one day i would work there so i could change young lives like the staff and camp did mine! I can never Thank you enough for all you did for me.
I love camp I always meet so many friends and the counselors are soooooo awesome
I attended several family camps and winter camps during the period. Many fond memories, including ceramics and sailing, walking through the woods. I subsequently lived in California and even worked at Leoni Meadows there, but Camp au Sable always will have a place in my heart.
Oh my goodness! This was one of the most amazing thing I’ve ever experienced in my life! this was my first year and I hope to come to many more. I’ve literally been dreaming about camp since I’ve gotten home. I think one of my favorite things was the Passion Play. I would do anything to see it again… I miss you guys!
I have so many fond memories of Camp Au Sable and Hartwick Pines! I remember going there in the winter on campouts with the Holly Pathfinder group. What fun we had! OH, the memories! Then going there for Bible Camp while attending Adelphian Academy. I will always cherish the wonderful experiences of being at Camp Au Sable. It even brought tears to my eyes when I found this site and started reading other’s memories. What a fun time in my life it was!!!
I have always enjoyed Campausable because they have good food, a lot of fun stuff to do, and good spiritual lessons. God has blessed Campausable greatly. I think everybody should go to summer camp. Thank you Campausable staff for all you do and thank you God for helping the staff make Camp a better place and to help us understand and know you better.
Camp Au SableToday
Join us at Camp Au Sable, and enjoy an incredible summer with loving staff, memorable activities, and a life-changing experience with Christ.